Club History

The Onehunga Swimming Club was officially founded in 1956 with its headquarters at the Onehunga War Memorial Pools. Under coach Cliff Williams, the club performed extremely well at all levels including gaining medals at Commonwealth Games. At its peak, it had around 800 members.

Once indoor pools appeared around Auckland, the club struggled to keep members till it only had around 20. In 1989, the Onehunga Borough Council built the indoor pool. From that point, the club grew steadily to around 270 members.

From late 1990’s, the club began looking for more pool space and good training times at a reasonable rate. Under the stewardship of John Sherlock and Cameron Russell, they approached Epsom Girls Grammar to joining in building a pool.

After a lot of hard work and foresight by the committee of the time, Onehunga Swimming Club had a pool where they had the exclusive use by a club. By April 2002, the club was training it’ competitive members out of a new pool at the Epsom Aquatic Centre.

The Onehunga pool still has the bulk of the club’s members where its primary use is the learn-to-swim through to mini-squads.